"Welcome to patch 4.12! With only a few patches between now and the League of Legends World Championships, our focus is on the competitive scene and the things we can do to ensure the landscape is diverse and healthy. Part of how we're accomplishing this goal is to look at champions who are skewing champion select in one way or another while also looking to healthy "almost there" champions, like Alistar or Ahri. For either side (strong or weak champions), our main philosophy is to look for strengths to highlight while also emphasizing weaknesses. This ensures a champ can hold onto their strategic value while still having meaningful tradeoffs. You'll also hear me repeat this many times. Too bad.
For you Twisted Treeline fans, we've got two item overhauls with Grez's Spectral Lantern and The Lightbringer (they're now two separate item lines with different functionality), so be sure to read up before hopping into your 3s game.
Final thing: we'll also be shipping jungle timers with patch 4.12! Read just below for a rundown on those but, as part of our focus on gameplay clarity, we want to ensure that the right skills are being rewarded in League of Legends. In the case of jungle timers, we want to focus on the meaningful choices you make with the information you've earned, rather than the quick arithmetic you can do with the clock. Also be sure to read our dev blog on Clarity for more philosophy!
And that's it for now! Read up on the changes below, and we'll see you next patch!"
- Chris "Pwyff" Tom
"One bugfix and some documentation for Relic Shield, since we added it in with 4.12 but forgot to throw it into the patch notes. Enjoy!"
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where upgrading Sorcerer's Shoes with the Homeguard enchantment granted double magic penetration
- CHEAPSKATE: Relic Shield and its upgrades no longer work on Yorick ghouls and Zyra plants because giving your friends 5 gold isn't helping anyone
"We want League to be all about the smart decisions you make in the moment and how you make plays around those moments, rather than how well you can track certain timers. There's definitely skill in memorizing information, but our philosophy on gameplay clarity is making sure that skillful decisions can be made with the right information and that players are fighting each other, not the system.
The information you get through clearing an objective is important stuff you've already earned, so we wanted to clarify that through jungle timers. It's also worth mentioning that jungle timers aren't adding new information that hasn't been there before, as they follow the same rules as minimap icons."
- Jungle timers have been added to the game!
- Jungle timers currently track the next spawn time of: enemy / team Elder Lizard, enemy / team Ancient Golem, Dragon, and Baron
- Timers will only start tracking a camp if you or a teammate directly witness a monster camp being fully cleared (similar to minimap icons)
- If you manage to snipe Baron or Dragon without vision, the timer will set itself off
- You can access jungle timers by pressing TAB (default key) through the scoreboard. They'll be at the top of the screen.
- We've also updated monster minimap icons! Check them out!
Q does a little more damage and costs less mana.
"Ahri's a cool fox gal that we'd like to see more of, but she's currently sitting just below the top-tier mid picks. That said, we don't think she needs too many buffs to keep up, so we focused on her ability to push the wave more efficiently so she can find more opportunities to roam."
- Q - Orb of Deception
70/75/80/85/90 mana ⇒ 55/60/65/70/75 mana
- ABILITY POWER RATIO:
0.325 (total: 0.65) ⇒ 0.35 (total: 0.7)
Ali's mana costs are lower, and his ult now reduces tons of damage, even at lower levels. In exchange, Ali's jungling is weaker.
"We really want to bring Alistar back up as a support, but our challenge has been to make sure he doesn't also take up his crown of jungling cow king from the days of old. Access to a 'mini' Malphite Unstoppable Force at level 2 (via his Headbutt + Pulverize combo), combined with guaranteed tower dives and the ability to punt people away from safety makes for a pretty oppressive gank-train from the jungle. We want to give Ali the things he needs to succeed but, like we did with Maokai, we also want to make sure he's in a healthy position to do so. There's a little concern that having 70% damage reduction at level 1 Unbreakable Will might make Alistar a little too good at tower diving (even as a support), but we'll see how these changes affect him first."
- Passive - Trample
- REMOVED JUNGLE COW: No longer deals double damage to monsters
- Q - Pulverize
- STUNNING LANDING: Pulverize now correctly matches its visuals by applying a
1.5 second knockup ⇒ 1 second knockup followed by a 0.5 second stun (functionally should remain the same)
70/80/90/100/110 mana ⇒ 65/70/75/80/85 mana
- W - Headbutt
70/80/90/100/110 mana ⇒ 65/70/75/80/85 mana
- R - Unbreakable Will
- NEW YOU CAN'T MILK THOSE: Damage reduction now applies instantly, rather than after the spell animation
- DAMAGE REDUCTION:
50/60/70% ⇒ 70/70/70%
And the Yasuo's around the world rejoiced.
- PSYCHIC BULLETS: Fixed a bug where Caitlyn's basic attacks were registering as attacks before they visually hit the target
Ezreal can now hit himself with Essence Flux if he can find a way to get ahead of it. Use with caution please.
"Just E into it."
- W - Essence Flux
- NEW JUST E INTO IT: Essence Flux can now hit Ezreal in addition to his allies
This one's for all you Garen junglers out there.
- E - Judgment
- AOE ON AOE: Garen can now (again) use Tiamat / Ravenous Hydra while spinning
W's cooldown has gone up, Force Pulse slows for a lot but for a shorter period of time.
"This guy. Again.
Currently, our focus is on Kass's super snowballing potential where, when he's ahead, he can help both himself and his team succeed by constantly slowing and punching people in the face. We still don't want to go after Kass's iconic Riftwalk (as that's clearly his core strength), but these changes mean Kass will have less offensive windows to go in."
- W - Nether Blade
6 seconds ⇒ 9 seconds
- E - Force Pulse
- SLOW DURATION:
3 seconds ⇒ 1 second
- SLOW AMOUNT:
30/35/40/45/50% ⇒ 50/60/70/80/90%
"We're doing a little follow-up for Kha'Zix, especially with our previous tanky jungler and marksman buffs."
- 20px Q - Taste Their Fear
- PHYSICAL DAMAGE:
55/80/105/130/155 ⇒ 70/95/120/145/170
Lucian's attack ranges have gone down, but E's cooldown will now get reduced with every hit from Lucian's passive. E also has no mana cost, so Lucian will be dashing quite a bit in the mid to late game.
"Our design philosophy when approaching a strong champion is to highlight their strengths while also emphasizing their weaknesses (I told you we'd be repeating this a lot). This mostly relates to the concept of meaningful choices, where we want that champ to maintain their strategic value while also having some tradeoff that enemies can play against. Specifically for Lucian, his high generic power (a strong early and late game, high burst, high mobility, etc) meant he could just be blindly picked without much consideration for the enemy team. For a while, this is what made Lucian such a strong competitive pick - he could adapt to any team and could still perform well.
Ultimately our changes are focused on highlighting some of Lucian's strengths as a spell-slinging, mobile marksman, while also emphasizing new weaknesses - like having a lower range. At higher levels with some items (cooldown reduction!!!), Lucian can fluidly chain Es together as long as he has a target to hit with his passive. This also means Lucian will be one of the most mobile mid-range ADCs in teamfights (there are some concerns that he'll be... too mobile thanks to E removing all slows, but we'll keep a close eye here). Having a lower range, however, also means Lucian will need to take more risks in order to get E's cooldown back up, and he might have some tougher matchups during the laning phase (where before he could win almost any lane). This gives us a lot more space to emphasize Lucian's unique traits, and we'll be watching how he performs after these changes."
- ATTACK RANGE:
550 ⇒ 500
- BASE MOVEMENT SPEED:
330 ⇒ 335
- BASE HEALTH:
470 ⇒ 500
- BASE ATTACK DAMAGE:
49 ⇒ 52
- 20px Passive - Lightslinger
- THE DOUBLE TAP RULE: Fixed a bug where sometimes Lightslinger would fail to kill a champion because it incorrectly predicted that the first shot would be enough and would use the second shot to last hit a minion. Lightslinger will now always follow the double tap rule by shooting a near-dead champion twice to secure the kill.
- 20px Q - Piercing Light
- NEW FARMCIAN: Piercing Light now deals
75% ⇒ 100% damage to minions
- CAST RANGE:
550 ⇒ 500
60/65/70/75/80 mana ⇒ 50/55/60/65/70 mana
- 20px E - Relentless Pursuit
- NEW NOW WITH MORE RELENTLESSNESS: Cooldown is now reduced by 1 second per Lightslinger (passive) hit, doubles against enemy champions (2 second reduction per hit, 4 seconds total for a full passive proc)
- NEW NOW WITH MORE PURSUIT:
60/45/30/15/0 mana ⇒ 0 mana at all ranks
- NEW SMOOTH SHOOTER: Lucian now resets his basic attack timer upon dashing
18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
- REMOVED CULLED: Relentless Pursuit no longer resets on kill during The Culling
- Passive - Staggering Blow
- SECRET STAGGERING: Fixed a bug where Nautilus' enemies could see his countdown indicator
"Some bugfixes for Quinn to give her a little more consistency in play."
- E - Vault
- LOOK VAL, SNACKS: Now always causes Valor to immediately mark the target, even if Valor is in the process of marking another nearby enemy
- PROPER FORM: Fixed a bug where Quinn would sometimes propel herself in the wrong direction
"This bugfix might be a significant hit to Rengar's jungling effectiveness (he was proccing Madred's Razors twice), but we'll track his performance over time."
- A FINE COLLECTION: Rengar will now correctly say a line whenever he upgrades his Bonetooth Necklace
- Q - Savagery
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where Savagery was triggering on-hit effects twice
- Q - Plasma Fission
- KNOWLEDGE THROUGH DISINTEGRATION: Plasma Fission will now split after Vel'Koz has died
- E - Sweeping Blade
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where Sweeping Blade sometimes didn't count as a spellcast for various items and champion abilities
- Passive - Short Fuse
- SHORTER FUSE: Fixed a bug where Satchel Charge wasn't properly reducing Short Fuse's cooldown
Bloodthirster now gives even more life steal and the shield decays slower. The max shield, however, has been reduced, and Bloodthirster's life steal is now unique (to itself).
"We made Bloodthirster a bit generic when we reworked the passive to a shield, because its other stats (life steal and AD) could be nabbed via other items just as easily. These changes are to push Bloodthirster as the sustain / defense item for anyone who wants to pick up AD along the way. As an aside, the UNIQUE life steal on Bloodthirster means you can't stack BTs for +40%/+60% extra life steal, but it'll still stack with any other life steal items like Vamp Scepter, Blade of the Ruined King, Ravenous Hydra, etc."
- LIFE STEAL:
15% ⇒ 20%
- NEW UNIQUENESS: Life Steal is now UNIQUE
- BLOODY SHIELD:
50 - 440 ⇒ 50 - 350
- TIME BEFORE SHIELD DECAYS:15 seconds</span></s> ⇒ 25 seconds
Now builds out of B.F. Sword and gives 80 attack damage. We just re-stated the changes in a sentence.
"We were a little safe with Essence Reaver because there are a few champions who can get crazy strong with a mana-focused item. After seeing it in the wild, however, Essence Reaver just wasn't giving enough of a power spike for anyone building it, so we're rectifying that to make it more attractive as a pickup."
Pickaxe + Vampiric Scepter + 975 gold ⇒ B.F. Sword + Vampiric Scepter + 1050 gold
- TOTAL COST:
2650 gold ⇒ 3400 gold
- ATTACK DAMAGE:
60 ⇒ 80
+10 AP. Literally.
"We were also pretty conservative with Arden Censer, given its high potential as an item (attack speed for everyone!). So... we gave it more AP."
Now builds out of Pickaxe instead of Longsword, costs a little more and has slightly more AD.
"Making this change lets us smooth out the build path for Manamune rather than front-loading it with cheap items and then waiting a full 1000g+ to upgrade."
Tear of the Goddess + Longsword + 1040 gold ⇒ Tear of the Goddess + Pickaxe + 625 gold
- TOTAL COST:
2100 gold ⇒ 2200 gold
- ATTACK DAMAGE:
20 ⇒ 25
"Now with sunnier fire. Or fierier sun. BOTH?!"
- CLARITY: Damage aura visuals are now more fiery and aggressive
"Earlier in the season, we updated the visual and sound effects of our summoner spells. We're happy with the changes, but in Exhaust's case, we think combining the fidelity of our Exhaust update with the visual impact of old Exhaust gets us the best of both worlds."
- CLARITY: Visuals have been updated to improve readability
REMOVED Jungle Items
- The following jungle items have been removed from the Howling Abyss:
- Hunter's Machete
- Spirit Stone
- Quill Coat
- Spirit of the Ancient Golem
- Spirit of the Elder Lizard
- Spirit of the Spectral Wraith
"Fixing some bugs we found with Twisted Treeline, along with a small balance tweak for the Ichors, which are statistically very strong so we wanted to trim just a bit of their power."
- UNHEALTHY MONSTERS: Fixed a bug where all monsters (not just the big ones) were giving a regeneration sigil
Ichor of Rage
4 minutes ⇒ 3 minutes
Ichor of Illumination
4 minutes ⇒ 3 minutes
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
- REMOVED WARDING ACTIVE: Ward active ability has been removed for Twisted Treeline
- NEW UNIQUE PASSIVE: Now has UNIQUE passive Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed
- NEW UNIQUE ACTIVE: Now has UNIQUE active Trap Detection: Covers a target area in a stealth-detecting mist that grants vision for 5 seconds and reveals enemies that enter it for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown)
Twisted Treeline and Crystal Scar
- R - Intervention
100 / 90 / 80 seconds ⇒ 110 / 95 / 80 seconds
Lord Van Damm's Pillager
Twisted Treeline, Crystal Scar & howling Abyss
We're buffing Grez's Lantern to help it keep up with the other jungle items on these maps. The newly revamped Lightbringer is to give marksmen a more enticing vision-focused item on the map.
NEW Grez's Spectral Lantern
This item has been remade - we will be listing only the new stats!
- REMOVED MAPS: Grez's Lantern is no longer available on Howling Abyss and Crystal Scar
- RECIPE: Madred's Razors + Long Sword + Dagger + 180 gold (total cost: 1765 gold)
- ATTACK DAMAGE: +15
- ATTACK SPEED: +30%
- UNIQUE PASSIVE: Now has UNIQUE passive Maim: Basic attacks against monsters deal 50 bonus magic damage and restore 8 health
- UNIQUE PASSIVE: Owner now gains +30% increased gold from monsters
- UNIQUE PASSIVE: Now has UNIQUE passive Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed
- UNIQUE ACTIVE: Now has UNIQUE active Trap Detection: Covers a target area in a stealth-detecting mist that grants vision for 5 seconds and reveals enemies that enter it for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown)
NEW The Lightbringer
This item has been remade - we will be listing only the new stats!
- RECIPE: Wicked Hatchet + Cloak of Agility + 350 gold (total cost: 2280 gold)
- ATTACK DAMAGE: +30
- CRITICAL STRIKE CHANCE: +30%
- CRITICAL VISION: Critical strikes now cause the target to bleed for an additional 90% of your bonus attack damage as physical damage over 3 seconds and are revealed for the duration of the bleed.
"Intro Bots is a new difficulty of Co-Op vs. AI designed for players brand new to League of Legends. In addition to changes to bot AI, there are a variety of tutorial-style features designed to help new players pick up some of League's basic lessons over the course of a few games. Check out our dev blog to get the full scoop on how we're approaching the onboarding experience."
- Intro is now the default level of Co-op vs. AI for new players
- Players above Summoner Level 10 will receive reduced IP/XP rewards and can't earn their First Win of the Day bonus from the Intro Bots queue
New Audio Engine
"Back in 4.7, we started a multi-patch process to ship files for our new audio engine. We're happy to announce that process is now complete and the engine will be going live with 4.12! Our new audio engine brings a few immediate improvements, but more importantly will help us focus on providing a more immersive and engaging League of Legends experience moving forward. Check out our earlier post for more details!"
- Made improvements to stereo imaging and panning
- Added proper support for Surround Sound
- Made subtle improvements to audio clarity
- Smoothed out a few small delays when the item shop, options menu and death recap are opened for the first time in a match
- Fixed a graphical bug with start-of-game tips
- Fixed a bug that occasionally applied duo queue restrictions to queues other than ranked solo/duo
- Players who have negative LP from dodging ranked queues can no longer automatically reset their LP to 0 with a single ranked win
- Fixed a bug that occasionally caused players with low LP to be demoted when losing a ranked match that would drop them to 0 LP
- Fixed an issue with ranked teams sometimes not being promoted after winning a promo series
- Fixed an issue with players sometimes being unable to join a new ranked team after leaving another
The following skins will be released at various times throughout Patch 4.11: