Maw of Malmortius
|Effects:||+55 Attack Damage|
+40 Magic Resist
+10 Armor Penetration
|Passive:||Lifeline: Upon taking magic damage that would reduce Health below 30%, grants a shield that absorbs 300 (+1 per bonus Magic Resist) magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown). |
Lifegrip: When Lifeline triggers, 10% Spell Vamp and Lifesteal until you leave combat
is a legendary item in League of Legends.
- As with Hexdrinker, this item can help attack damage based champions against teams with strong magic damage.
- Attack damage champions who benefit form being at low health, such as Olaf or Tryndamere, can put it to great use. Their low-health passives combined with the item's attack damage effect and the shield allows them to stay at lower health more safely.
- Maw of Malmortius will provide up to 35 bonus attack damage which occurs when the wielder is at or below 30% of total health.
- Defense > Magic Resistance
- Attack > Damage
- Maw of Malmortius is named after a well-known community member known as "Malmortius" for obtaining over one thousand referrals.
Sterak’s Gage and Maw of Malmortius shields no longer stack. Sterak’s Fury and Lifegrip now both proc when Lifeline is triggered.
Maw and Sterak’s have complementary defensive triggers: Maw cares about how low you are while Sterak’s cares about how fast you’re dropping. This presents an interesting choice in lane: which item is best for the situation you’re in? Unfortunately, that choice becomes meaningless as the game progresses and beefy champs stack both items to cover all their bases. We’re tying the shields of Maw and Sterak’s together to ensure that picking one is a choice, not just the earlier of two purchases.
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY : Sterak’s Gage’s shield is now classified as a Lifeline effect along with the shields from Hexdrinker and Maw of Malmortius
ONE LIFE ONE LINE : When a Lifeline effect triggers, all Lifeline items are put on the cooldown of the triggered item. Only the triggered effect’s shield is granted.
DOUBLE DUTY : Sterak’s Fury and Maw’s Lifegrip are now both granted on either Lifeline trigger
Magic resist down. Attack speed removed.
Hexdrinker’s always been an effective pick-up for those looking to defend against magic damage spikes, but Maw’s stealing the show in 2016. Warming the bench in previous seasons (often something you upgraded if you ‘had to’), Maw’s raw stat-efficiency combined with the upgraded Lifegrip buff currently makes it a catch-all for any magic damage, rather than a counter to a specific situation. Maw should still feel like an appropriate upgrade against mage-heavy teams, but rushing it suboptimally shouldn’t be as effective as it currently is.
MAGIC RESIST : 50 ⇒ 40
REMOVED LIFELINE ATTACK SPEED : 25% ⇒ 0%
No longer gives attack damage when low, but enrages instead.
Never an efficient combination of stats, Maw's updated inclusion of Dirk's armor penetration and the new Lifegrip passive work together with Lifeline's shield to create the feeling of just staving off death, flying into a berserker rage when the heat is on. That sounds a lot better for fighters than the previous 'get a lot of damage when you're almost dead and then die', so we went with it.
TOTAL cost : 3200 gold ⇒ 3250 gold
BUILD path : Hexdrinker + Serrated Dirk + 850 gold
ATTACK damage : 60 ⇒ 55
MAGIC resist : 40 ⇒ 50
NEW armor penetration : 10
LIFELINE SHIELD : 400 ⇒ 300 + 1 per bonus magic resist
REMOVED COME AT ME : No longer grants bonus attack damage based on missing health
NEW UNIQUE passive : Lifegrip: When Lifeline triggers, you gain 25% attack speed, 10% spell vamp and 10% lifesteal until you leave combat
- Attack Damage increased to 60 from 55
- Magic Resist increased to 40 from 36
- Passive now grants 1 Attack Damage for every 2% of missing Health, up from 2.5%
- Passive now capped at 35 Attack Damage, down from 40
- Fixed a bug where the cooldown was not properly resetting when upgrading from a Hexdrinker on cooldown
- Fixed a bug where the Lifeline shield was lasting for 3 seconds instead of 5
- Unique Passive changed to "Lifeline: If you would take magic damage that would leave you at less than 30% Health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown)."
- Cost reduced from 3,300 (925) to 3,200 (975)
- The following items will now display their cooldownon the item itself, rather than with a buff: Maw of Malmortius, Hexdrinker, Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel, Sheen, Lich Bane, Trinity Force, Tear of the Goddess, Archangel's Staff, and Manamune.