Q and W range down. Q ratio down.
Way back in 2014, we set out to make Lucian the skirmishing-est marksman in League. The Purifier excels at short-range fights through combat mobility and spellweaving, chunking enemies with Lightslinger procs as he darts across the battlefield. As an in-your-face marksman, Lucian needs to put himself in harm’s way more than his compatriots to succeed, but even that level of risk doesn’t justify his current dominance. Lucian’s close-quarters identity falls apart when he can rely on mid-range poke for the brunt of his interaction with enemies. We’re trimming a bit of safety off Lucian’s kit to ensure his success is tied to engaging with - and outmaneuvering - his opponents.
Passive - Lightslinger
BUGFIX : The second shot no longer procs Runaan’s Hurricane or Guinsoo’s Rageblade, since it’s not a basic attack
Q - Piercing Light
BEAM RANGE : 1100 ⇒ 900
RATIO : 0.6/0.75/0.9/1.05/1.2 bonus attack damage ⇒ 0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9/1.0 bonus attack damage
PIERCING CLARITY : Visuals better match the size of the beam
W - Ardent Blaze
RANGE : 1000 ⇒ 900
R range down.
New season, same problems. Lucian's strengths are numerous - burst damage, sustained damage, mobility, amazing haircut - but he's never had a very well defined weakness. This leads to situations where a popular Lucian shuts out similar champions entirely (like old Graves) and hurts marksman diversity overall, simple because it's too hard to compete with his reliability.
With this change, we're cementing Lucian's weakness explicitly as 'poor damage output from range'. This puts a greater importance on his mobility tools like Ardent Blaze and Relentless Pursuit for contributing to fights and introduces greater risk to the character overall. Lucian still brings a lot to the table, but teams should be able to tailor their strategies to account for (or exploit) his uses, rather than just seeing him as the every-marksman of League.
R - The Culling
RANGE : 1400 ⇒ 1200
Attack damage down. R's scaling shifted to be less early, more late.
Up to a patch or two ago, Lucian was a mid-tier marksman whose identity heavily overlapped with bursty, dash-y dudes like Graves. In this new preseason, Lucian's no longer got that problem but now that he's got a shiny new Essence Reaver to play with, he's back in the challenge space of being a high-skill marksman with a lot of broad strengths. The extra attack damage and rank 1 Culling damage proved to be a little too potent at shutting down the early game, so we're pulling back just a tad (but keeping The Culling relevant throughout the game). Ultimately, Lucian's a cool champion to have around, just as long as he's not the only champion you pick.
BASE ATTACK DAMAGE : 59.42 ⇒ 57.42
R - The Culling
PHYSICAL DAMAGE : 40/50/60 + 0.25 bonus attack damage ⇒ 20/35/50 + 0.2 total attack damage
Culling no longer scales with attack speed, but fires more bullets generally.
Another light (ahem) tweak, Lucian's changes remove his ult's somewhat awkward dependency on attack speed scaling, allowing him to embrace his identity as a cooldown-oriented caster marksman (hello Essence Reaver!).
BASE ATTACK DAMAGE : 52.04 ⇒ 59.46
ATTACK DAMAGE GROWTH STAT : 3 ⇒ 2.41
R - The Culling
REMOVED FIRE EVERYTHING : No longer scales the number of bullets with attack speed
NEW SHOTS FIRED : Now fires 20/25/30 bullets based on rank
Passive scales better lategame and does full damage to minions. W costs less, gives more movement speed, but has a shorter duration. Lucian's teammates can give him movement speed via W's mark.
Sleek and stylish, Lucian’s another ex-pro pick fallen on hard times. Lightslinger’s ‘spell-weaving’ paradigm gives him a unique flair among marksmen, but hinges upon each spell being innately worth casting. Ever since lopping off Ardent Blaze’s AD ratio, the ability’s felt lackluster, so we’re pumping up its utility alongside some tuning to Lucian’s passive to make his ‘attack-cast-attack’ loop feel even more satisfying.
Passive - Lightslinger
SOME JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP : Lightslinger's second shot now always does 100% to minions
RATIO : 0.3/0.4/0.5 attack damage at levels 1/7/13 ⇒ 0.3/0.4/0.5/0.6 attack damage at levels 1/6/11/16
W - Ardent Blaze
MOVEMENT SPEED : 40/45/50/55/60 ⇒ 60/65/70/75/80
DURATION : 2 seconds ⇒ 1 second
COST : 60 mana ⇒ 50 mana
NEW ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ LUCIAN TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ : Lucian's teammates can also trigger Ardent Blaze's movement speed bonus for him.
Lucian's got a shorter window to double tap people with Lightslinger, and deals less damage with it at lower levels.
- "Lucian is a character that's carefully defined by his low combat range (500) and being opportunistic to succeed within it. These changes are more along the lines of pushing that while creating more windows of opportunity against Lucian. We do say windows of opportunity a lot."
- Passive - Lightslinger
- PASSIVE BUFF DURATION :
6 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds
- RATIO :
0.5 attack damage at all levels ⇒ 0.3/0.4/0.5 attack damage at levels 1/7/13
W no longer has an attack damage ratio, but gives more movement speed bonuses at later ranks. R's cooldown has been significantly raised (particularly at later levels).
- "You know, for a 'short-range' champion, Lucian's got access to a lot of long-range damage once he gets past the early game. Our big focus here is to push Lucian into closer combat range more often by reducing the power on some of his safer spells. At this point you might ask why Q has a 1100 range (well, 500 cast but 1100 total), and that would be a good question. Also, when you consider it, The Culling's 50 second cooldown at rank 3 is pretty crazy. "
- W - Ardent Balze
- [REMOVED] ATTACK DAMAGE RATIO :
0.3 ⇒ 0.0
- MOVEMENT SPEED BONUS :
40/40/40/40/40 ⇒ 40/45/50/55/60
- R - The Culling
- COOLDOWN :
100/75/50 seconds ⇒ 110/100/90 seconds
Occasionally relenting pursuit. This will have been the third time we've made a joke regarding Relentless Pursuit and no apologies will be made at this point in time.
- "When we originally re-balanced Lucian back in patch 4.12, we were actually concerned with him being too weak in the laning phase (hah), and so gave him compensatory buffs to keep up. Since then, however, Lucian's gone on to be a premiere lane bully with access to a pretty solid late game as well. These changes should make Lucian think a little more about that aggressiveness in lane."
- E - Relentless Pursuit
0 mana ⇒ 40/30/20/10/0 mana
Lucian can no longer remove slows with E, and E's cooldown is up across the board
- "When we made our big Lucian changes in 4.12, we had three concerns in the back of our heads: the first was that Lucian would struggle too much in the early game to hit his mid to late game power (false!), the second was that players would have difficulty adapting to the new Lucian changes (false!), and the third was that he would be a little too strong in the mid to late game so maybe our concerns didn't matter (true!).
- Specifically on these changes: giving Relentless Pursuit a reset interaction with Lightslinger (and making it cost 0 mana) makes Lucian almost completely immune to slows, which leads to a lot of 'hard counter' situations where he's untouchable for a number of enemy champions. Ultimately we still want Lucian to have tons of mobility after he's picked up some cooldown reduction, but to make it a healthy mechanic he can't also shrug off any attempt to fight back."
- 20px E - Relentless Pursuit
- REMOVED OCCASIONALLY RELENTING Relentless Pursuit no longer removes slows
14/13/12/11/10 seconds ⇒ 18/17/16/15/14 seconds
Lucian's attack ranges have gone down, but E's cooldown will now get reduced with every hit from Lucian's passive. E also has no mana cost, so Lucian will be dashing quite a bit in the mid to late game.
"Our design philosophy when approaching a strong champion is to highlight their strengths while also emphasizing their weaknesses (I told you we'd be repeating this a lot). This mostly relates to the concept of meaningful choices, where we want that champ to maintain their strategic value while also having some tradeoff that enemies can play against. Specifically for Lucian, his high generic power (a strong early and late game, high burst, high mobility, etc) meant he could just be blindly picked without much consideration for the enemy team. For a while, this is what made Lucian such a strong competitive pick - he could adapt to any team and could still perform well.
Ultimately our changes are focused on highlighting some of Lucian's strengths as a spell-slinging, mobile marksman, while also emphasizing new weaknesses - like having a lower range. At higher levels with some items (cooldown reduction!!!), Lucian can fluidly chain Es together as long as he has a target to hit with his passive. This also means Lucian will be one of the most mobile mid-range ADCs in teamfights (there are some concerns that he'll be... too mobile thanks to E removing all slows, but we'll keep a close eye here). Having a lower range, however, also means Lucian will need to take more risks in order to get E's cooldown back up, and he might have some tougher matchups during the laning phase (where before he could win almost any lane). This gives us a lot more space to emphasize Lucian's unique traits, and we'll be watching how he performs after these changes."
- ATTACK RANGE:
550 ⇒ 500
- BASE MOVEMENT SPEED:
330 ⇒ 335
- BASE HEALTH:
470 ⇒ 500
- BASE ATTACK DAMAGE:
49 ⇒ 52
- 20px Passive - Lightslinger
- THE DOUBLE TAP RULE: Fixed a bug where sometimes Lightslinger would fail to kill a champion because it incorrectly predicted that the first shot would be enough and would use the second shot to last hit a minion. Lightslinger will now always follow the double tap rule by shooting a near-dead champion twice to secure the kill.
- 20px Q - Piercing Light
- NEW FARMCIAN: Piercing Light now deals
75% ⇒ 100% damage to minions
- CAST RANGE:
550 ⇒ 500
60/65/70/75/80 mana ⇒ 50/55/60/65/70 mana
- 20px E - Relentless Pursuit
- NEW NOW WITH MORE RELENTLESSNESS: Cooldown is now reduced by 1 second per Lightslinger (passive) hit, doubles against enemy champions (2 second reduction per hit, 4 seconds total for a full passive proc)
- NEW NOW WITH MORE PURSUIT:
60/45/30/15/0 mana ⇒ 0 mana at all ranks
- NEW SMOOTH SHOOTER: Lucian now resets his basic attack timer upon dashing
18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
- REMOVED CULLED: Relentless Pursuit no longer resets on kill during The Culling
"We have no change for Lucian this patch but wanted to highlight that he's currently high on our list. Specifically in competitive play, Lucian is crowding out almost all other marksman choices (aside from maybe Kog'Maw) due to his high general strengths and lack of meaningful weaknesses (does this sound familiar?). We're currently very aware of Lucian's dominating performance but want to make sure we get the right changes in to give him said weaknesses!"
- VERY STRONG:
Yes ⇒ Still yes
"At higher levels of play, Lucian tends to be a master-of-all-trades marksman with his strong damage in lane, high mobility, decent scaling, and general safety in teamfights. With the new AD itemization changes, however, we don't want to implement bigger modifications with so much in the air. At this point in time we do think Lucian will need some broader changes to give him meaningful weaknesses, but a reduction on W (which was designed for utility as opposed to any form of burst damage) is something we're confident is in line with our potential changes in the future. "
- 20px W - Ardent Blaze
- BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE RATIO:
0.6 ⇒ 0.3
Summary: We've lowered the base damage of Piercing Light and shortened its cast range.
"We're culling some of Lucian's lane dominance – especially when he gets early AD purchases (given Piercing Light's high AD ratios). Rather than relentlessly pursuing a reduction on Lucian's damage, we also shaved some range off Piercing Light, as Lucian was able to poke from just outside of auto-attack range before going in for a strong trade with his passive. I'm sure there's another ability pun to be had in here, but I got nothing."
- Q - Piercing Light
- Base damage reduced to 80/110/140/170/200 (from 80/120/160/200/240)
- Reduced cast range to match Lucian's basic attack range (now 550 from 570)
Summary: Piercing Light's hitbox width has been reduced slightly, but it now leads its target when cast on an enemy champion. When Lucian kills someone with the first shot of Lightslinger, Lucian will always try to find another target, prioritizing the closest enemy unit to the slain target.
Context: Lucian's Piercing Light can sometimes be sidestepped by its primary target without them even trying to do so. To help the ability land, we've added a leading mechanic to Lucian's Piercing Light. This means that if the target just keeps moving - oblivious to the ability being cast - Lucian is now practically guaranteed to hit. However, the ability will be slightly easier to juke for players who've got their eye out for incoming abilities.
Finally, a bug in Lucian's passive meant that Lightslinger's second shot could sometimes hit a different target! We decided to embrace the bug and properly support it as a feature. Now, if Lucian's target dies before the second Lightslinger round lands, Lucian will always try to find another target, prioritizing the closest enemy unit to the slain target. There are certain filters in place to prevent disrupting Lucian's last hitting or accidentally hitting a champion under the tower.
- Updated Lucian's recommended items
- Base mana regeneration increased to 7 (from 6)
- Mana regeneration gained per level increased to 0.7 (from 0.65)
- When Lightslinger's target dies before the second shot hits, the second shot will now always attempt to find another target
- Laser hit box width reduced to 100 units (from 120)
- Piercing Light now leads its target by 80 units when cast on an enemy champion