|Effects:||+40 Ability Power|
|Passive:||Magic Bolt: Damaging an enemy champion with a basic attack shocks them for 75-150 (at levels 1-18) bonus magic damage. (40 second cooldown, shared with other Hextech items.|
The Hextech Revolver is an advanced item in League of Legends.
Hextech Revolver is an item commonly built by many caster champions(commonly called "AP Carries"). While most champions would later build the item into a Will of the Ancients some champions, such as
Akali would build it into a Hextech Gunblade instead.
- Magic > Ability Power
- This item and those it builds into are the only items in the game which provide spell vamp as a passive bonus (unlike Guinsoo's Rageblade that grants it on a health-based trigger with a cooldown).
- Hextech Revolver and Hextech Gunblade are references to weapons used in the video game Final Fantasy VIII. The main character, Squall Leonhart, uses items known as Gunblades with his starting item being named Revolver.
No longer gives spell vamp. Now adds bonus damage to basic attacks.
Heading into our upgraded Hextech weaponry prompts an important question: why is all the spell vamp gone?
Let’s start by comparing it to lifesteal. Thematically, lifesteal gives the feeling that you’re fighting back against death, creating tenson a duels with uncertain outcomes. Mechanically, lifesteal says ‘I may havsmall health bar but you’ve got to focus me down or I’ll regenerate to full.’ Spell vamp, while sounding similar, doesn’t quite hit the same bar. Unlike basic attacks, no two abilities are the same, which makes the stat wildly variable in value.
This means that it’s functionally impossible to make spell vamp work the way you’d expect, and it instead operates on myriad edge-cases to avoid feeling abusive and unintuitive. Cut to today’s world where it’s only used on Vladimir (whose balance is kept lock-step with the stat), it’s easy to see why it had to go.
So why buy into Hextech? Revolver (and its upgrades) are all about benefitting the mid-range mages that have to scrap to survive. Like Catalyst for sustain or Tear for becoming a late-game monster, Revolver represents a commitment to securing advantages through combat. While everyone’s waiting to -up, Hextech provides the spike you need to get the snowball rolling.
TOTAL COST : 1200 gold ⇒ 1050 gold
COMBINE COST : 340 ⇒ 180
REMOVED SPELL VAMP : No longer grants Spell Vamp
NEW MAGIC BOLT : UNIQUE Passive - Damaging an enemy champion with a basic attack shocks them for 75-150 (at levels 1-18) bonus magic damage. (40 second cooldown, shared with other Hextech items.)
- Spell vamp reduced to 12% from 15%
- Spall vamp reduced to 15% from 20%
- Spell vamp component is now unique
- Spell vamp increased to 20% from 15%
- Spell vamp increased to 15% from 10%